Is an EIN, Tax ID & FEIN all the Same? Or Different?

Doc filling

Imagine you are filling out some essential forms when you are asked for your business or personal tax identification number. When it comes to tax identification, there is more than one number that can be used for that purpose. As a business owner, it is important for you to know what an EIN, Tax ID Number, and a FEIN mean and when are they used.

Gov Doc Filing is an online EIN filing service offering many services for new and seasoned business owners and they make this process easy to understand.

Differences Between EIN, Tax ID, and a FEIN

A Taxpayer Identification Number or Tax ID is a term that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) uses for numbers assigned to an individual or business for tax purposes. These numbers are mainly used to track paid to or received from businesses and individuals as well as for other tax purposes. Types of Tax IDs can include an Individual Taxpayer ID (ITIN), Social Security number (SSN), Employer Identification Number (EIN).

An Employer Identification Number or EIN is also known as FEIN or Federal Employer Identification Number. They are a unique number assigned to businesses by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for purposes of identification. An EIN and FEIN are forms of Tax IDs that are the same thing.

Businesses that require an EIN fall under the following circumstances:

  • Have employees
  • Have Keogh plan
  • Incorporate or form a partnership or limited liability company
  • Involved with the organizations that are listed on IRSwebsite
  • It withholds taxes on nonwage income paid to a non-resident alien
  • Your business files employment, excise or alcohol tobacco, and firearms tax returns

As a Sole proprietor that has no employees, you would likely use your Social Security number as your Tax ID. Ask a tax advisor or speak with a Gov Doc Filing support specialist from unsure that your business needs an EIN.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge